Re: Status of this memo

What I am describing is what I have seen practice by MANY working groups across many areas.

The working groups clearly have the rights to do what is described.

While it is true that replacing an author can be difficult, I have seen it done many times. It shouldn't need to be done as often as it is.

I would personally prefer to avoid codifying the IETF practice of WG adoption and renaming into rigid rules. They tend to cause as many problems as they solve.

It is true that not all WGs adopt documents, and that not all documents get their name changed. There was, for example, one SFC document that was sufficiently simple that when the WG adopted it the chairs did not ask for a name change. And then shortly thereafter went to WG last call on the document. The lack of name change actually confused quite a number of people.

Yours,
Joel