Re: Status of this memo

> Il 27/04/2021 09:54 Lars Eggert <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>

> Hi,
>
> On 2021-4-27, at 5:24, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). Note that other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts."
> >
> > That's actually internally inconsistent and if the first sentence is quoted without the second, it is actively misleading when (say) an IRTF draft is concerned.
> >
> > Shouldn't those two sentences be combined into a more accurate single sentence?:
> >
> > Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) or of other associated groups or individuals.
>
> thanks for the suggestion, Brian. I agree that this would be a clarification. I'll bring it up with the IESG.

Was there ever any discussion of adopting a more specific formal name for IETF I-Ds, e.g. "IETF draft" ("IRTF draft" etc.)? "Internet-draft" could stay as a rarely used generic umbrella term, but if more precise terms come into common use, clarity will gain a lot.

I am also thinking of the difference between adopted IETF drafts and individual submissions; that was completely lost on me until my first several months of active participation, and I am sure that almost all Internet developers and engineers out there miss it too, with the obvious consequence that any "Internet draft" is taken as an official IETF-sanctioned document. It would be better if there were clearly different terms in use for the two types of documents, even better if with different repositories, URL patterns etc.

--
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx