Re: Status of this memo

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 06:09:31PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 4/27/21 5:54 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>
> >> emphatically disagree, and I believe that's a particularly harmful
> >> concept to promote.
> > Could you elaborate more on how your position relates to the BCP 25
> > description of "Document Editor"?  §6.3 of RFC 2418 has:
> >
> >     Most IETF working groups focus their efforts on a document, or set of
> >     documents, that capture the results of the group's work.  A working
> >     group generally designates a person or persons to serve as the Editor
> >     for a particular document.  The Document Editor is responsible for
> >     ensuring that the contents of the document accurately reflect the
> >     decisions that have been made by the working group.
>
> In my experience WGs have often accepted the original
> author(s)/editor(s) of a document as the Document Editor, and done so
> without much (if any) formality.   I think it mostly works
>
> I'm not sure what this has to do, however, with the bit of the reply
> that you quoted.

My understanding is that you are objecting to statements that "a WG
draft is one where the WG has taken over change control".  I see your
comments elsewhere that the author/editor should have freedom to make
drastic changes, especially in earlier revisions, to attempt to improve the
document.  I think I agree with you in the sense that requiring
pre-approval to all changes to the text of a WG document hinders progress,
but I also think that if there is a conflict between what the editor wants
to do and what the WG wants to do, the editor must yield to the WG (or be
replaced).  In this sense I would say that the WG has change control, since
the WG consensus prevails.

I would like to understand how you are understanding the concept of "change
control" such that you do not want to say that "the WG has change control
over a WG document", especially in light of the BCP statement that the
document editor has to reflect the WG's decisions.

Does that clarify what I'm trying to ask for?

Thanks,

Ben