Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language - word list

Hi Joel,
At 10:51 AM 09-08-2020, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
My reasoning on asking for a list of terms that are more often problematic, and likely candidate replacements for them, is to help the reviewers. I had not even realized that grandfathered has unfortunate connotations and associations.

There are some potential issues which I only caught on reading a review from Mr Doty.

I do not expect non-native speakers of English, much less non-native speakers whose culture is very different from typical western European and American culture, to easily be able to recognize what the concern is. I would not label such a list "must be avoided", as that is clearly too strong. Particularly since almost all words have multiple uses.

Please see the acronym mentioned in the slides at http://r.elandsys.com/r/72380 The person who raised the issue is probably from China. I am acquainted with a few non-native speakers of English. I have no doubt that they would understand the concern quickly.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy