Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 13:15, Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    : But, considering that most other people, both blacks and whites,
    : in US are enjoying Thriller, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars
    : and all the fantasies and FRPGs with such words of "dark lord",
    : "black magician" and "dark side of force", there is no such
    : culture in US to avoid saying black/dark with negative meaning.

I am responding to the last line of this.  It is factually incorrect. Others have asked you about this as well.  I am a native-born American..

But the real point lies in the first part of the sentence.

The substantial proportion of the US population that enjoy such fantasies must have an expectation or acceptance that black/dark has a negative meaning; otherwise the fantasy scenario makes no sense at all.

"This is no such culture in the US to avoid saying black/dark with negative meaning"  This is factually wrong.  It is a generalization. There is a strong, and growing, culture within the US to avoid these terms in technical documentation.

i.e. currently fashionable
Merely a passing phase, like a teenager with blackheads.