Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Sorry, but I it's time to speak up.

On 29/07/2020 10:50, Masataka Ohta wrote:
Barry Leiba wrote:

> - What would you want the IETF community to do with respect to the
> Internet draft in question:

Treat it as something written by noisy minority.

I strongly disagree. This is a real issue that needs to be addressed.

And this is definitively not only U.S.  centric, It's addressed in Norway and I guess many other "western countries" also. And the "white good/attractive" vs "dark  bad/attractive" is something that seems deeply rooted in Asian cultures also, both based on personal observation, media, avertismentss and others observers [1].

It's not up to you or me to define how others should interpret the "good intention" of the words we are using and instead MUST avoid using terms that don't need an explanation and cannot be misinterpreted.

Regards

Frode

{1] Some quick references

- White and Beautiful: An Examination of Skin Whitening Practices and Female Empowerment in China: https://onourterms.barnard.edu/article/white-and-beautiful/

.. Where Does the Asian Obsession With White Skin Come From? https://thediplomat.com/2019/12/where-does-the-asian-obsession-with-white-skin-come-from/

- Brown and beautiful: the color-based beauty standards of Asian culture are grossly outdated https://www.highlandernews.org/36604/brown-and-beautiful-the-color-based-beauty-standards-of-asian-culture-are-grossly-outdated/