Re: Appeal and IANA correspondence

  • >Can you identify which sections in 3986 you feel gave you a choice?

  • Section 2.2

Thanks.

So I am guessing that you took this sentence: “A subset of the reserved characters (gen-delims) is used as delimiters of the generic URI components described in Section 3” to mean that *ANY* of those characters may be used. That is wrong. The meaning is when a separator is used as a delimiter it must be chosen from that set.  I.e., no other character will be used. Just like “?” is used as the query indicator and “#” is used as the fragment identifier.  All three things – scheme, query, fragment – have semantics and use character from gen-delims (which must otherwise be percent-encoded) so that they can be marked off, stripped out, etc.

I am sure you are not convinced.  Oh well.