Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 21:39, Salz, Rich wrote:
Yes, some dismiss that as "virtue signaling." But being virtuous is a good thing :)

Virtue signalling is not synonymous with being virtuous.  Being virtuous is supporting a charity (modulo the goodness of the charity of course), virtue signalling is posing outside a charity for the perfect Instagram photo and the associated street cred.

It's possible to be both virtuous and give off signals about it of course.  To bring it back to the specific here:

I think providing a clear indication that we are trying to be inclusive is important..

It seems to be me that most of the debate in this thread boils down to: "is this effort is a clear signal that we're serious about trying to be inclusive rather than facile pandering to a particularly noisy political group?", and an associated "would publishing something like this be effective and attract people who want to make the Internet work better by producing high quality, relevant technical documents that influence the way people design, use, and manage the Internet?"

Regards,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd