[dcl_tech_board] Re: [hotplug_sig] [Hotplug_sig] Re: [dcl_tech_board] Announcing HotPlug SIG

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:47:18PM -0700, Mary Edie Meredith wrote:
> > > Yes, of course, there are other mail lists.  We didn't
> > > really intend for SIGs to be the center of the
> > > universe for community conversation about these
> > > areas.  Our intent is not to replace those, in
> > > fact we expect that active developer-type participants
> > > on this list will need to be signed up for the
> > > hotplug-relevant lists in addition to this one.
>
> I didnt post there because I was not trying to attract the community at
> large.  We do want people with a DCL, DTL, or CGL interest.  I think
> Martine was going to consider the appropriate approach at the kickoff to
> get wider than OSDL involvement.  We wanted to avoid exactly the
> reaction you had, that OSDL was trying to reinvent the wheel or take
> change.  Not.

I can't help noting here that this is a microcosm of the sort of
distrust that was voiced by the kernel development community at the
kernel summit.  Also, that perhaps marketing-speech such as "OSDL
shall be the center of gravity for Linux" naturally causes people to
assume that OSDL is trying to take charge.

> > > We are just getting started.  So we have done no
> > > planning in the dark, nothing done before now to
> > > determine what makes sense for OSDL.  This is the
> > > start.

This sounds like a group was created without it having a distinct
charter.  I've always considered that to be a not-particularly-wise
move, myself.  If by your description, the goal is that the group (at
least initially) is basically going to be an information-gathering
group to see where the state of the art currently is, for the benefit
of OSDL members who can't follow the various development lists
directly, why not make that an explicit part of the charter, and task
the SIG with the creation of status report of the technology of
interest?

This would no doubt reduce hostility and suspicion, as it admits
upfront ignorance and a desire to learn, as well as disclaiming any
interest in doing anything or trying to take charge, at least while
the SIG is trying to do initial exploration of the space.  A little
humility can go a long ways....

Anyway, just a suggestion.

						- Ted