[Hotplug_sig] Re: [dcl_tech_board] Announcing HotPlug SIG

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 03:56:37PM -0700, Mary Edie Meredith wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 12:08, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:27:32AM -0700, Mary Edie Meredith wrote:
> > > OSDL has decided to create a HotPlug Special Interest
> > > Group (SIG) that will be lead by Dr. Martine Silbermann,
> > > Principal Software Engineer, Linux Open Source Lab, HP.
> >
> > Why?  Seriously, why create
> > yet-another-mailing-list-that-contains-no-real-work?
>
> Quote from Andrew Morton's talk at OLS:
> http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/ols-2004.txt
>
> "Some features tend to encapsulate poorly, and to have their
>  fingers into lots of different places.  Memory hot-unplug
> is an example which comes to mind.  We may end up not being
> able to accept such features at all, due to their expected
> long-term impact upon the maintainability of those parts of
> the software which they touch, and to the fact that very few
> developers are likely (or even able) to regression test them."

The memory hotplug developers are all very aware of this statement, were
present when Andrew made that statement, and have pledged to prove
Andrew wrong :)

> Seems like there might be a few opportunities for osdl.org to
> help in this regard.   Why not investigate?.

Great.  Join in the discussion on the memory hotplug mailing list.  It's
quite active recently.

So, if memory hotplug was the focus, why not call this out in your
initial posting?  Lumping other "hotplug" projects, all independant,
together is very wrong, as I've stated numerous times in the past.

Again, don't ask developers to come to you, go to them.

greg k-h