[Hotplug_sig] Re: [dcl_tech_board] Announcing HotPlug SIG

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:27:32AM -0700, Mary Edie Meredith wrote:
> OSDL has decided to create a HotPlug Special Interest
> Group (SIG) that will be lead by Dr. Martine Silbermann,
> Principal Software Engineer, Linux Open Source Lab, HP.

Why?  Seriously, why create
yet-another-mailing-list-that-contains-no-real-work?

> The HotPlug SIG's goal is to identify and resolve HotPlug
> related technical inhibitors to Linux adoption in the Data
> Center, Desk Top, or Carrier Grade usage models.  Initially
> the group will examine what role OSDL can play beyond the
> activities already underway.  They plan to investigate
> HotPlug CPU, memory, IO subsystem, and node support.

Hoplug CPU:
	already supported in the main kernel tree.  There is a mailing
	list already for this (can't remember what it is right now).
	What more needs to be talked about?
Hotplug Memory:
	Has a very active mailing list
	<lhms-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> with lots of good discussions
	happening, and real code being posted there.  What more needs to
	be talked about on a different list?
Hotplug IO subsystem:
	Already works today in 2.4 and 2.6.
	Yeah, some special ia64 boxes are going to take this and "node"
	support to the next level and want to be hotplugged entirely.
	But again, there is already an active mailing list that the
	developers are all on <pcihpd-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and
	I've had discussions with the people who are actually doing this
	work already at OLS.  They said they will be posting code soon
	(no real rush, as there is no hardware shipping with this
	support yet.)  PPC64 is already handling removing entire root
	PCI busses, see the questions and comments on the pcihpd and
	linux-kernel mailing lists for their status.

> OSDL SIGs are open to all community members with no paper
> work involved.  Please invite developers who would be
> interested to join in this effort with OSDL members.

So, what is this group going to provide the Linux community that the
others don't already cover?  Why is it worth wasting people's time
listening to a conference call discussing the fact that all of this work
is already being done by other people, in other discussion areas, in the
open?

Seriously, why?  I really don't see the point.

greg k-h
(who only joined the hotplug list so that he could post there, it's not
an endorsement of the group at all.)