[Hotplug_sig] Re: [dcl_tech_board] Announcing HotPlug SIG

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 12:08, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:27:32AM -0700, Mary Edie Meredith wrote:
> > OSDL has decided to create a HotPlug Special Interest
> > Group (SIG) that will be lead by Dr. Martine Silbermann,
> > Principal Software Engineer, Linux Open Source Lab, HP.
>
> Why?  Seriously, why create
> yet-another-mailing-list-that-contains-no-real-work?

Quote from Andrew Morton's talk at OLS:
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/ols-2004.txt

"Some features tend to encapsulate poorly, and to have their
 fingers into lots of different places.  Memory hot-unplug
is an example which comes to mind.  We may end up not being
able to accept such features at all, due to their expected
long-term impact upon the maintainability of those parts of
the software which they touch, and to the fact that very few
developers are likely (or even able) to regression test them."

Seems like there might be a few opportunities for osdl.org to
help in this regard.   Why not investigate?.

--
Mary Edie Meredith
maryedie@xxxxxxxx