[Hotplug_sig] Re: [dcl_tech_board] Announcing HotPlug SIG

..snip
> So, what kind of regression testing do you all have planned for the
> in-kernel code?  That would be quiet useful to have done and welcomed by
> the kernel community (but it's still not a justification to create a SIG
> just to work on regression tests...)

Ok, to answer this I need to clarify something about this
SIG and OSDL SIGs in general.

OSDL created SIGs so that we (the OSDL members) could
focus our attention on specific areas - so far Storage,
 Security, and now HotPlug.  The SIGs were formed with
the purpose of helping us determine what OSDL members
can do to advance Linux adoption in these interest areas.
The group is tasked with a focus on our initiative goals
(e.g. Data Center) which is more narrow and more
business-focused than the developer lists.

The board agreed to open the SIGs so that these
discussions could be done in the open, something
OSDL has been hammered about frequently.  We also
wanted SIGs to be open so that if any developer
_wished to join the conversation there would be no
need for lengthy paperwork.

Yes, of course, there are other mail lists.  We didn't
really intend for SIGs to be the center of the
universe for community conversation about these
areas.  Our intent is not to replace those, in
fact we expect that active developer-type participants
on this list will need to be signed up for the
hotplug-relevant lists in addition to this one.  We
will post on those lists when those communities are
needed.

So, this Hotplug SIG was requested at the last DCL
TWG face to face in June by the members because up
to now we hadn't been looking into the subject.
We are just getting started.  So we have done no
planning in the dark, nothing done before now to
determine what makes sense for OSDL.  This is the
start.

That said, I believe that regression testing will
be on the list of activities.  Since you remarked
in a previous comment that "there is code present
to test CPU hotplug on machines that can not electrically
remove CPUs", is there any reason that code cannot
 run today on STP?  That would make a mighty fine
regression test, it seems to me.  I admit ignorance
about where to get our hands on the code.  If you
could be so kind as to enlighten us, I know our
testdev group would be very interested in investigating.

I hope this explains things a bit better.

--
Mary Edie Meredith
maryedie@xxxxxxxx