[Hotplug_sig] Re: [dcl_tech_board] Announcing HotPlug SIG

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 05:42:18PM -0700, Mary Edie Meredith wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 16:11, Greg KH wrote:
> ...snip
> > So, if memory hotplug was the focus, why not call this out in your
> > initial posting?  Lumping other "hotplug" projects, all independant,
> > together is very wrong, as I've stated numerous times in the past.
>
> Hotplug memory is just an example.  I believe the issue that Andrew
> raises might apply to the others as well.

But it doesn't, as that code is pretty much already in the main kernel
tree.  A minor bit of research would have found that out.

> By my posting I did not mean to imply that HotPlug memory is the only
> topic.

Great, so what's the topic here then?  What are the goals?  What is the
real reason for creating this group that makes it unique from the
already active developer communities around these topics?  These topics
are all very distinct and unique.  The common lumping of everything into
one big "hotplug" topic is a big misconception and pet peave of mine.

Remember that almost _everything_ in your machine is now hotpluggable,
physical as well as virtual devices.  So if you are not very specific as
to your intentions, you will be claiming that you are covering pretty
much the whole kernel :)

thanks,

greg k-h