Re: How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 16:14 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> <johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 11/09/2012 08:34 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe you're talking about running Fedora as a vbox or vmware guest on
> >> some other OS?
> >

> > Yup those are the use cases I'm concern about as in users running other OS
> > and installing Fedora as an virtualzation guest in that OS. ( like Robyn
> > pointed out with Vbox as in "people who do dev-type work on macs" )
>
> Eh.  There's certainly bugs in those cases too, because people install
> the 'guest' drivers to share the host FS and such, or because the
> implementation of the hypervisor is just broken.  So like I said, I'm
> not really thrilled about that case either.
>
> However, I will admit it is a more difficult case to call because at
> least they're trying to use Linux in some form.  I just don't think,
> from a criteria perspective, that it's fair to compare it to dual boot.

You might want to read back in the thread to a post from Kamil in
response to me. I think we have a plausible way to go here, where we
write a criterion which says something like 'There must be no issues in
the installed system which prevent it from running as a guest on a
VirtualBox host' (roughly - just the idea, not final wording). The point
would be to only require that _we don't screw anything up_, not to say
definitively that 'the release must work as a VBox guest', as we do for
KVM. That gives us a get-out clause in the case where VBox itself is
busted upstream, which we don't want to block for; so long as everything
on the Fedora side was in order we'd be okay.

That way we could have a test case for running Fedora as a VBox guest,
and we could run it as part as validation, and if we ran into problems
we'd figure out whether they were Fedora-side or VBox-side, and if they
were Fedora-side they'd be blockers, but if they were VBox-side they
wouldn't.

Sensible?
--
Adam Williamson