Re: How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 13:06 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 12:37 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > On 11/09/2012 07:24 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:

> >> Yes we can.  We don't support VMWare or VBox.  We can ignore anything we
> >> don't support as much as we want.
> >
> > Yet we have criteria is specifically tailored at dual booting along
> > proprietary operating system on proprietary filesystem ( thus arguably
> > support it ) which can block our own release if not fulfilled.
> >
> > What's your take on that since you are so opposed to us adding a
> > criteria that cover vbox,vmware which atleast arguably is equally
> > being used among our userbase?
> Sticking strictly to the statistics point - I tend to agree at least on
> Vbox - esp. for all the people who do dev-type work on macs, etc.
>
> VMware is a bit harder to see - obviously they're the huge elephant in
> the virt space but I would tend to think that people using KVM or Xen
> would be more likely to use Fedora/care about open source and that we'd
> get more value out of testing for that scenario than VMWare. But if the
> (albeit old) stats reflect otherwise it might be worth considering,
> though the ability to actually test that way isn't cheap and i fear that
> we'd have pretty low participation in it.

I think the 'old' thing is pretty significant here; for quite a while
VMware was about the _only_ viable virt option. I certainly used
VMware-player for quite a long time just because there wasn't anything
else. I think it's certainly plausible that the smolt stats have a heavy
skew to VMware based on the time ranges they cover and don't cover. It
would be nice if we had better numbers, but lots of things would be
nice :/
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey