Re: How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

On Nov 7, 2012, at 11:33 AM, Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yet, we don't give a damn about VirtualBox support. It's not in our criteria. We don't care much about its issues. We care a bit, but not much. Even though it's even open-source.

I think it's a big missing piece of the puzzle for overall reducing barrier to entry problems for trying out Fedora.

I actually don't understand the RHEL angle on this missing piece either. What is the use case of installing RHEL along side Windows? Really, enterprise users do this? They share a single disk with one bootloader/manager taking over another? Seems risky to me. I'd think best practices would be, at best, separate OS's on separate drives, in the case of BIOS-MBR. For UEFI-GPT it's… different.

The lack of explicit VirtualBox support not only reduces the test footprint when there are problems, but I think anaconda is made a lot more complicated than it needs to be in order to support the dual-boot case JUST for Fedora? So yeah, again, what's the dual-boot use case in enterprise?

> So if the philosophy should really be interpreted as you say, I still find inconsistencies in our approach. Not with Windows support being superfluous, but with other components being missing.

I agree. I don't think Windows support can be considered superfluous to the point that a reasonable conversation can be had to dump it as a release criteria, prior to the decision to support VirtualBox explicitly. And even then dual-boot is probably part of Fedora's demand because the developers depend on natively booting both, even if there's little enterprise use case.

But there is a developer *and* enterprise use case for supporting VirtualBox.

Chris Murphy