Re: How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 07:56 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>> My personal take is that Windows doesn't try and load things into the
>> Linux kernel, or otherwise disrupt the installed Fedora OS so I don't
>> personally care.
>

> And vbox vmware and hyperv do?

Yes.  vbox and vmware load out-of-tree kernel modules.  We get many,
many reports in the kernel about things being broken when they're
loaded.

Hyperv modules are already provided as part of the Fedora kernel
because their development team worked diligently on getting them into
the upstream kernel.

Maybe you're talking about running Fedora as a vbox or vmware guest on
some other OS?  E.g. Windows as the host OS running Fedora within vbox.
We've seen reports where vbox has screwed up it's machine emulation and
caused Fedora kernels to crash in the guest too.  I'm really not
thrilled at all about that case either, but I don't really have a formed
opinion about it.

> What about ( citrix ) xen in that regard as well?

What about them?  Xen is already a supported target and has release
criteria against it working.  And as someone already noted somewhere
else, Amazon EC2 is all Xen and the cloud people are all about taht.
(I'm using the word supported here very loosely.  We are lucky to have
upstream Xen people looking at most of the issues that pop up around it.)

josh