Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Peter Boy wrote:
> Well, a switch from Gnome to KDE would require a lot of changes in
> everyday applications, e.g. Mail. That is not required when you update
> from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.

Well, in principle, GNOME applications will usually work under Plasma and
the other way round. But in practice of course most default applications on
the Edition would change along with the desktop environment. So if you are
one of those users who never upgrades, but always reinstalls from scratch,
or at least installs everything in the Edition's group on upgrades, you will
be in for a few surprises indeed.

> Provide a reliable solution which includes a non breaking evolvement of
> the Edition.

I would argue that people upgrading to a newer Fedora should just upgrade in
place with the packages they have installed, ignoring the new defaults of
the Edition, so they would remain on GNOME and GNOME applications if that is
what the release they had initially installed was shipping.

Though of course then there will be some people complaining that an upgraded
Workstation is completely different from a freshly installed Workstation.
But IMHO, that would be a feature, not a bug.

> Too bad, an explicit scientific desktop edition might have helped me
> propagate a Linux desktop in our University research cluster of excellence
> a good decade ago.  Scientific Linux for Servers was a great success.

We tried, but it was deemed not distinctive enough to warrant an Edition,
our application was rejected on those grounds. After all, it was still a
desktop spin, just with some scientific applications preinstalled on top of
it. So it was accepted just as yet another Spin (next to the regular KDE
Spin), and eventually the Labs category was created for this and other use-
case-specific (former) Spins.

So a Scientific Spin (now Scientific Lab) did in fact exist around a decade
ago, but maybe "a good decade ago" was slightly too early, just before it
was created.

In addition, there was also pushback against this suggested compromise
(having the Plasma Edition be a Scientific Edition) from non-scientific KDE
users who understandably did not want to have to install a Scientific
Edition and then uninstall lots of niche apps they will never use from it.
But that discussion became moot because the Edition application was rejected
anyway.

        Kevin Kofler