Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

> Am 05.04.2024 um 14:16 schrieb Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Peter Boy wrote:
>>>
>>> . . .
>>
>> This is an absolute no-go! It would break everyone’s usage of Fedora
>> Workstation
>
> It would be a major change, yes. Though not really different from the
> aforementioned upgrade to GNOME 3 with its completely redesigned user
> experience, which was also done.
>
> If Workstation were never allowed to change its user experience, it would be
> shipping MATE nowadays, not GNOME.

Well, a switch from Gnome to KDE would require a lot of changes in everyday applications, e.g. Mail. That is not required when you update from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.

>> and is in irreconcilable contradiction to the characteristics of an
>> „Edition" as defined with Fedora.next.
>
> How so?

Provide a reliable solution which includes a non breaking evolvement of the Edition.

But not to give the wrong impression: I think it would be beneficial for Fedora to develop an alternative to the current Gnome Workstation, which has evolved over the years into a rather fat, bloated and opaque entity. But I think this change proposal is the wrong way to go.

>> For the desktop area I don’t see a non-overlapping use case between Gnome
>> and KDE. It’s just a different tool for the same use case.
>
> This exact argument was already used 10 years ago to reject our (that was
> before I left the KDE SIG, though this issue was one of the triggers for me
> leaving the SIG) request for a Plasma Edition. 10 years later, we still have
> no way out of this dilemma. The definition of an Edition needs to be refined
> or completely replaced to get out of this catch-22.
>
> As part of the process to look for a non-overlapping use case, there was an
> attempt to focus specifically on scientific applications, which eventually
> lead to the Scientific Lab, but that did not make it to an Edition either,
> just to a Lab.
>
> The overlap issue is also going to hinder other deliverables' efforts to
> become Editions. E.g., Silverblue mostly overlaps with Workstation and
> CoreOS: Workstation for the general use cases (workstation/desktop usage),
> CoreOS for the atomic and container-oriented use cases.

Too bad, an explicit scientific desktop edition might have helped me propagate a Linux desktop in our University research cluster of excellence a good decade ago.  Scientific Linux for Servers was a great success.

But it could still be a non-overlapping use case in its own right (even if I am contradicting myself):

Integration / integrability in professional work environments thanks to the similarity of the KDE interface to Windows / MacOS and thanks to the cross-operating system capabilities of KDE (many KDE apps are already available for Windows, at least I’m happily using Kate on MacOS). And additionally, a way aiming to specifically attract new users who are currently on Windows/MacOS.

Scientific Desktop would be a special sub-case of this.

(Hm, would be really attractive to develop something like that)

>> That may change and can change, of course. But that’s nothing for F42,
>> rather for F52.
>
> It just requires creating a new working group. That can be done instantly.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. It requires not only a new foundation or restructuring of a SIG, but also a mindset change among participants.  And the latter takes much longer.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast