Re: "fedpkg local" builds fail for rust packages

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 9:51 AM Michael J Gruber <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So you're saying that those packages are in the repos for everyone but
> not meant to be installed by anyone (besides mock chroots), and that is
> how and why they are packaged.

Yes. That is the best we can do given how cargo + Rust work.

> `This package contains library source intended for building other packages which
> use the "xyz" crate.`

So the description matches what I said?

> Unless you `fedpkg local` build it. Or maybe only if you `fedpkg
> mockbuild` it. Does a rebuild from `fedpkg srpm` even work?
>
> Wow!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but "fedpkg local" is an ugly hack
(independent of Rust peculiarities).
And I am not interested in adding workarounds to the Rust packaging
toolchain to support it.

"fedpkg mockbuild" and "fedpkg srpm" all work as expected ...

> Is there any other set of packages which we package like that?

Probably golang ... maybe Haskell, OCaml?

> If that is how you do things for the rust eco-system, those "devel"
> packages should be clearly distinguished from real development packages,
> come with a huge boiler plate "do not install" - or, really, be in a
> separate repo if installing them is both worthless and misleading for
> any "real" user. CRB for Fedora material.

You just pasted the package description above. What more do you want?
It clearly states that the purpose of the packages is to build other packages.

Also, Fedora won't do split repos (been there, done that), and stuff
like it doesn't even work that well in RHEL (and causes all sorts of
issues).

While I agree that the situation is not ideal, I still think this is
the best that we can do:

1. We don't want Rust applications to vendor their dependencies
2. Rust can only do static linking (for now)
-> Dependencies can only be shipped as source code, not as compiled artifacts.

And while you *can* use packaged Rust crates for local development if
you really want, it's not really a supported use case.

Fabio