Re: "fedpkg local" builds fail for rust packages

On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 03:33:35PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 9:51 AM Michael J Gruber <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So you're saying that those packages are in the repos for everyone but
> > not meant to be installed by anyone (besides mock chroots), and that is
> > how and why they are packaged.
>
> Yes. That is the best we can do given how cargo + Rust work.
>
> > `This package contains library source intended for building other packages which
> > use the "xyz" crate.`
>
> So the description matches what I said?
>
> > Unless you `fedpkg local` build it. Or maybe only if you `fedpkg
> > mockbuild` it. Does a rebuild from `fedpkg srpm` even work?
> >
> > Wow!
>
> Sorry to burst your bubble, but "fedpkg local" is an ugly hack
> (independent of Rust peculiarities).

fedpkg local works fine for almost all cases.

> And I am not interested in adding workarounds to the Rust packaging
> toolchain to support it.
>
> "fedpkg mockbuild" and "fedpkg srpm" all work as expected ...
>
> > Is there any other set of packages which we package like that?
>
> Probably golang ... maybe Haskell, OCaml?

OCaml is definitely _not_ packaged like this.  ocaml-* and
ocaml-*-devel packages are normal packages that can be installed by
end users if they want, although usually only if they're developing
OCaml software.

Rich.

> > If that is how you do things for the rust eco-system, those "devel"
> > packages should be clearly distinguished from real development packages,
> > come with a huge boiler plate "do not install" - or, really, be in a
> > separate repo if installing them is both worthless and misleading for
> > any "real" user. CRB for Fedora material.
>
> You just pasted the package description above. What more do you want?
> It clearly states that the purpose of the packages is to build other packages.
>
> Also, Fedora won't do split repos (been there, done that), and stuff
> like it doesn't even work that well in RHEL (and causes all sorts of
> issues).
>
> While I agree that the situation is not ideal, I still think this is
> the best that we can do:
>
> 1. We don't want Rust applications to vendor their dependencies
> 2. Rust can only do static linking (for now)
> -> Dependencies can only be shipped as source code, not as compiled artifacts.
>
> And while you *can* use packaged Rust crates for local development if
> you really want, it's not really a supported use case.
>
> Fabio
> --

nbdkit - Flexible, fast NBD server with plugins
https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit