Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 11:21:36AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> So here are three brainstorming proposals:
>
> (a) Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop becomes a Fedora edition. We'd need to be
> careful about how we do it. I would still promote Fedora Workstation as the
> main/recommended "leading" desktop, would call Plasma an "alternative
> desktop option," and would strongly caution against use of the word
> "Workstation" anywhere in the branding for the Plasma version. That is,
> let's continue to steer undecided users towards Fedora Workstation, while
> making Plasma easier to find and presenting it more prominently than it is
> today.

I like this proposal. It would give the KDE spin more prominence and
would be a good reply to the huge work that has been put into the spin
in recent times. It also wouldn't disrupt our story about Fedora Workstation.

If we call it "Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop" or similarly, it won't be
confused with Fedora Workstation.

> (b) Alternatively, elevate the positioning of all spins on the
> fedoraproject.org homepage. Place the link to the spins right next to the
> link to Fedora Workstation, above the atomic desktops (which are sadly still
> experimental), above the Fedora labs and ALT downloads, and honestly
> probably above the non-desktop Fedora editions. Nobody is going to be
> confused as to which one is the primary product.

I'm not sure. I think the getfedora.o page could use some work, but
just moving one or two things might not be enough. For me, when using
the website is the huge list semi-orthogonal categories:
the top-level split is:
  - editions, as individual items
  - atomic desktops
  - spins
  - labs
  - alt downloads
Alt downloads is split into:
  - Fedora 40 beta
  - network installer
  - torrent downloads
  - alternate architectures (even though download pages also have architectures?)
  - cloud base images
  - testing images
  - rawhide
The Fedora Spins looks great, IMO.
The Fedora Labs page looks nice too.

There's also a visual split
I also always struggle to find Beta releases when I need them.
In some places there's a banner with a link, in other places there's a toogle.

And there are at least three domains:
getfedora.org, fedoraproject.org, alt.fedoraproject.org.

This is hard to navigate. It seems that each subpage uses a different
categorization and way to split things. And the different subpages
use different visual styles.

I think we should have:
  a) one domain

  b) a flat categorization where you first select the type
  (one of the editions or the desktops or spins or labs or network
  installer or cloud image).

  The editions should be listed prominently, and the other things can
  lower in the page or require a click to show.

  c) at all subpages there should be a toggle button to show
  pre-release

  d) once you know what to download, you can see
  the architecture and format options and torrent vs. iso.

In such a structure the same "procedure" would be used to navigate
different choices, making it easier to figure out what all the options
are.

Zbyszek