Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

I get your point, Kevin. I would argue though that, if a user is looking to use Linux, they probably got a decent idea as to what DE they want to use. There are.... SO MANY LINUX DISTROS! Making a choice between two is honestly probably not that jarring imo.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 7:49 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 04:06:45PM -0400, Steve Cossette wrote:
> Alright, so a substantial amount of information changed since the original
> submission of the change proposal. We aren't necessarily thinking of
> demoting Gnome. The overall spirit of the CP is that we think KDE, and to
> some extent the other spins too, need a bit more visibility on the website.
> At the very least, Gnome and KDE should be up front on the frontpage.

So, I am far from a web designer, but if you aren't a Linux savvy person
and just decided to try out this Fedora thing because you heard it was
nice and you go to download it and get:

our website: Want a workstation?
user: yes!

our website: great! We have Gnome and KDE!
user: what? what does that mean? which one should I get?

our website:

Gnome: "Get things done with ease, comfort, and control.
An easy and elegant way to use your computer,
GNOME is designed to help you have the best possible computing experience."

KDE: "Powerful, multi-platform, and for everyone
Use KDE software to surf the web, keep in touch with colleagues, friends
and family, manage your files, enjoy music and videos; and get creative
and productive at work. The KDE community develops and maintains more
than 200 applications which run on any Linux desktop, and often other
platforms too."

User: ok, that didn't tell me much, whats the difference?
perhaps I will just keep using windows.

Ok, thats obvously somewhat tounge in cheek, but if we promote multiple
things, we need some way to describe them to uses who might not know the
history of things and do it in a quick enough way that they won't decide
it's all confusing and go do something else.

kevin