Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Leslie Satenstein via devel wrote:
> The Cellphone user is very comfortable with Gnome. So much so, that I
> believe that if he was given KDE as the interface, two things would
> happen. a) The user will switch to Gnome, or b) The user will find a way
> to add his favourite applications to the desktop.

b) is actually very easy on modern Plasma (I tried it on Plasma 5), just
right-click on the application in the menu and click "Add to desktop" in the
context menu. KDE upstream has long given up trying to deprecate desktop
icons (as they tried to do in early Plasma 4 releases, though even those
allowed you to put a folder view widget displaying the Desktop folder (and
hence, icons) on the desktop). In Plasma 6, the desktop is always a folder
view.

Or the user can just switch the menu type to something icon-based and very
similar to the menu in GNOME Shell with right-click on the menu button,
"Show Alternatives…" and "Application Dashboard".

And if the user really wants a smartphone UI with a smartphone-style menu,
always-maximized windows, etc., they should use Plasma Mobile, not Plasma
Desktop. But a customized Plasma Desktop as described above is probably a
better fit for traditional desktop/notebook computers.

        Kevin Kofler