Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 04:26:52PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-04-04 at 18:35 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 6:17 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I like this proposal. It would give the KDE spin more prominence and
> > > would be a good reply to the huge work that has been put into the spin
> > > in recent times. It also wouldn't disrupt our story about Fedora Workstation.
> > >
> > > If we call it "Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop" or similarly, it won't be
> > > confused with Fedora Workstation.
> > >

> > So, effectively no change other than it moves from the Spins section
> > to the Editions section? That would also mean it should be on the
> > front page too, like the other Editions.
>
> Being an Edition is a very significant thing, though, as we conceive of
> Fedora more widely than just the download page. We put a bunch of hoops
> in the way of IoT and CoreOS becoming editions, and there are hoops in
> the way of Silverblue becoming one (or, you know, wherever we go with
> that path in the end).

My silent assumption was that the current change proposal would be
withdrawn and replaced by a new proposal. We have a formal procedure in [1].
Looking at that list, it seems all fine. The only sticky point is whether
KDE desktop serves a different purpose than Workstation with GNOME.
I'd say it does: desktop preferences are like religion, and people don't
just switch (except when they do).

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/council/policy/edition-promotion-policy/

Zbyszek