Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

We didnt withdraw it because, well to be completely honest, we are afraid that, if we do that, in the eyes of the community at least, we will abandon the idea completely and any subsequent effort would be undermined as a result.

It’s kindof a case of « damned if you do and damned if you don’t »…

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 03:03 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 04:26:52PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-04-04 at 18:35 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 6:17 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I like this proposal. It would give the KDE spin more prominence and
> > > would be a good reply to the huge work that has been put into the spin
> > > in recent times. It also wouldn't disrupt our story about Fedora Workstation.
> > >
> > > If we call it "Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop" or similarly, it won't be
> > > confused with Fedora Workstation.
> > >

> > So, effectively no change other than it moves from the Spins section
> > to the Editions section? That would also mean it should be on the
> > front page too, like the other Editions.
>
> Being an Edition is a very significant thing, though, as we conceive of
> Fedora more widely than just the download page. We put a bunch of hoops
> in the way of IoT and CoreOS becoming editions, and there are hoops in
> the way of Silverblue becoming one (or, you know, wherever we go with
> that path in the end).

My silent assumption was that the current change proposal would be
withdrawn and replaced by a new proposal. We have a formal procedure in [1].
Looking at that list, it seems all fine. The only sticky point is whether
KDE desktop serves a different purpose than Workstation with GNOME.
I'd say it does: desktop preferences are like religion, and people don't
just switch (except when they do).

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/council/policy/edition-promotion-policy/

Zbyszek