Re: Modularity and all the things

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:42:38PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > One of the things I love about Fedora is that we don't have a big company-
> > vs-community divide.
> Huh? In what parallel universe do you live?

We have a big company _investment_, but I don't think it's a divide.
That's the one I live in. :)

> Modularity is just yet another example that clearly shows this divide. Just
> look at how Red Hat's desktop environment choice dominates all of Fedora
> massively and how all the community-packaged desktop environments (i.e., all
> those that do not have a footprint as their logo) consistently get treated
> as second-class citizens (as even a quick glance at getfedora.org will show
> you instantly).

If you're going to define "second class" as "not the technology used
for one of our Editions" — or even "not at the top of the Get Fedora
page" — then, I guess, sure, KDE meets that definition.

But "second class" is an awfully strong word to throw around, with some
serious implications. I don't think it right to use at all.

>From a project participant point of view, contributors who
work on KDE:

- Have the same vote as everyone else.

- Have the same ability to participate in discussion.

- Have the same opportunity to participate in leadership.

- Have the same ability to request funding.

- Have the same opportunity to use Fedora build, QA, release, and other
  infrastructure.

- In fact have, literally, exactly the same rights and duties as
  everyone else.

>From a technology point of view:

- KDE packages are included in the definition of Fedora's Critical Path
  (as are also XFCE and LXDE!)

- Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop is a release-blocking deliverable. For
  Fedora 26, I personally spent hours tracking down and creating the
  fix for a release-blocking problem which had been open for months.
  (And Xfce is release-blocking on aarch64.)

- We can and do include issues primarily affecting KDE on the list of
  "Prioritized Bugs".

Meanwhile, many people in Fedora work on technologies that _don't_ get
that special treatment. Those contributions are valuable too, and,
again, those contributors have the same rights as everyone else — even
though their software might not even be included on any ISOs we produce
at all. Are these people then "third-class citizens"? No, of course not
— they are part of the one single class of Fedora contributors.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>