Re: new section for 'Join the package collection maintainers'

On 15.03.2018 17:09, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 15/03/18 00:54 +0100, René Genz wrote:
[snip]

>> Taking feedback from Athos and you into account here is a new proposal:
>> ---8<---
>> 3. One-off contributions
>>
>> Changes to existing packages can be suggested by submitting <pull requests (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html)>.
>> You must have a <Fedora account (#Create_a_Fedora_Account)> to create a pull request.
>>
>> If your account is not a member of the 'packager' group:
>> * cloning your fork works only with the HTTPS URL and
>
> What is "your fork"? Nothing on this page talks about having a fork.

Package maintainers do not need a fork because they can write to the repository.
One-off contributors use their copy of the project (="fork") to contribute changes to the project with the help of pull requests.
On the website of the "pull request" link the text "Create a Fork on Pagure" links to:
https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/forks.html#create-fork

> And since you can't write to it, there is not point creating your own
> fork. You might as well just create the fork somewhere else like
> pagure.io
>
> Explaining that you can't write to your fork is not necessary if you
> don't encourage people to create useless forks.
On the one hand explaining the situation might ease confusion why an external Git hosting platform must be used.
On the other hand the text is much shorter.
OK, let us use a shorter version.

> So I still think my previous suggestion is better, with one small
> correction:
>
> Changes to existing packages can be suggested by submitting <pull
> requests (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html)>.
> You must have a <Fedora account (#Create_a_Fedora_Account)> to create
> a pull request. If your account is not in the 'packager' group then
> you cannot push changes to forks on src.fedoraproject.org so must use
> an external Git hosting platform (e.g. https://pagure.io/new) and use
> a <Remote pull-request
> (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>.

I made some minor changes (add a link, add "you", add a comma (because the last sentence is a conditional sentence to me)):
---8<---
3. One-off contributions
Changes to <existing packages (https://src.fedoraproject.org/browse/projects/)> can be suggested by submitting <pull requests (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html)>.
You must have a <Fedora account (#Create_a_Fedora_Account)> to create a pull request.
If your account is not in the 'packager' group, then you cannot push changes to forks on src.fedoraproject.org so you must use an external Git hosting platform (e.g. https://pagure.io/new) and use <Remote pull-requests (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>.
---8<---
Is it OK?
--
Kind regards,