Re: new section for 'Join the package collection maintainers'

On 14/03/18 01:02 +0100, René Genz wrote:
On 13.03.2018 15:13, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 12/03/18 21:02 -0300, Athos Ribeiro wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:35:19AM +0100, René Genz wrote:
[snip]
I propose to:
add a new major point 2, so:
"2. How to join the Fedora Package Collection Maintainers?"
will be:
"3. How to join the Fedora Package Collection Maintainers?"

Should your new item really come first? The page is about joining the
package maintainers, so why should "how to contribute without joining"
come before "how to join"?

I considered my case, only a one-off contribution, it is less text to read.

That's not a very good reason. The topic of the page should come

You could add a link saying something like "To make a one-off
contribution see below" to skip past the main content of the page, but
the new content should still come after the main content.

I am fine with adding the new information to the end.

[snip]

At the moment any repos, including forks, on https://src.fedoraproject.org require your FAS account to have 'packager' status for write access (and read access if you use the "SSH" Source GIT URL).

I don't think it's helpful to mention the SSH URL part. If you don't
have write access, just use the HTTPS URL.

The SSH URL can be used to download too, but `git clone` printed 'permission denied' as far as I remember.

Either you get the status or you use a <Remote pull-request (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>, f.e. with <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>, as a workaround.

This should be "for example" or "e.g." not "f.e."

OK

And it doesn't seem like a workaround, it seems like the proper way to
do it.

Other git hosting platforms support write access for users' forks.
I was surprised to find out this is not the case for src.fedoraproject.org.
Of course, with this behavior the remote pull-request is the proper way to do it.

The requirement to be a packager is being worked on.
---8<---

I would rather see something like:

If you are not an Fedora packager, i.e., you are not in the 'packager'
FAS group, you can send pull requests to  src.fedoraproject.org. To do

Yes, I agree it's better to say "in the 'packager' FAS group" rather
than "have 'packager' status".

OK

so, you must use a <Remote pull-request
(https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>,
f.e. with <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>

How about:

3. One-off contributions

Changes to existing packages can be suggested by submitting <pull
requests (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html)>.
You must have a <Fedora account (#Create_a_Fedora_Account)> to create
a pull request. If your account is not in the 'packager' group then

Should it not be written with a comma, like "If ... group, then"?

No.

you cannot create a fork on src.fedoraproject.org so must use an

You can create a fork on src.fedoraproject.org if your account is not a member of the 'packager' group.

Really?

For this account and repo:
* up- and downloading with the SSH URL fails
* downloading with the HTTPS URL works
(I guess uploading with the HTTPS URL is not supported, like it is in pagure.io)

That's not creating a fork on src.fedoraproject.org, it's cloning the
repo onto your local machine.

external Git hosting platform (e.g. https://pagure.io/new) and use a
<Remote pull-request
(https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>.

Thank you for your input. :)
Too late for me to write a new version of the proposal today. Feel free to beat me to it.