Re: new section for 'Join the package collection maintainers'

On 13.03.2018 15:13, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 12/03/18 21:02 -0300, Athos Ribeiro wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:35:19AM +0100, René Genz wrote:
[snip]
>>> I propose to:
>>> add a new major point 2, so:
>>> "2. How to join the Fedora Package Collection Maintainers?"
>>> will be:
>>> "3. How to join the Fedora Package Collection Maintainers?"
>
> Should your new item really come first? The page is about joining the
> package maintainers, so why should "how to contribute without joining"
> come before "how to join"?

I considered my case, only a one-off contribution, it is less text to read.
I am fine with adding the new information to the end.

[snip]

>>> At the moment any repos, including forks, on https://src.fedoraproject.org require your FAS account to have 'packager' status for write access (and read access if you use the "SSH" Source GIT URL).
>
> I don't think it's helpful to mention the SSH URL part. If you don't
> have write access, just use the HTTPS URL.

The SSH URL can be used to download too, but `git clone` printed 'permission denied' as far as I remember.

>>> Either you get the status or you use a <Remote pull-request (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>, f.e. with <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>, as a workaround.
>
> This should be "for example" or "e.g." not "f.e."

OK

> And it doesn't seem like a workaround, it seems like the proper way to
> do it.

Other git hosting platforms support write access for users' forks.
I was surprised to find out this is not the case for src.fedoraproject.org.
Of course, with this behavior the remote pull-request is the proper way to do it.

>>> The requirement to be a packager is being worked on.
>>> ---8<---
>>
>> I would rather see something like:
>>
>> If you are not an Fedora packager, i.e., you are not in the 'packager'
>> FAS group, you can send pull requests to  src.fedoraproject.org. To do
>
> Yes, I agree it's better to say "in the 'packager' FAS group" rather
> than "have 'packager' status".

OK

>> so, you must use a <Remote pull-request
>> (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>,
>> f.e. with <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>
>
> How about:
>
> 3. One-off contributions
>
> Changes to existing packages can be suggested by submitting <pull
> requests (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html)>.
> You must have a <Fedora account (#Create_a_Fedora_Account)> to create
> a pull request. If your account is not in the 'packager' group then

Should it not be written with a comma, like "If ... group, then"?

> you cannot create a fork on src.fedoraproject.org so must use an

You can create a fork on src.fedoraproject.org if your account is not a member of the 'packager' group.
For this account and repo:
* up- and downloading with the SSH URL fails
* downloading with the HTTPS URL works
(I guess uploading with the HTTPS URL is not supported, like it is in pagure.io)

> external Git hosting platform (e.g. https://pagure.io/new) and use a
> <Remote pull-request
> (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>.

Thank you for your input. :)
Too late for me to write a new version of the proposal today. Feel free to beat me to it.
--
Kind regards,
René