Re: new section for 'Join the package collection maintainers'

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:35:19AM +0100, René Genz wrote:
> the other day I wanted to contribute a fix to an RPM package's spec file.
>
> I struggled with uploading my changes to my fork on src.fedoraproject.org.
> puiterwijk and clime from #fedora-admin IRC channel on freenode.net pointed me in the right direction:
> * 'packager' status for FAS account required, else all repos, including forks, are read-only
> * workaround is to use a "Remote pull-request"
> * requirement of 'packager' status is being worked on.
>
> With this information contributing the fix was easy.

[snip...]

> Now I try to add the information to Fedora's documentation.
> From my point of view, this would be a good website:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers
>

> I propose to:
> add a new major point 2, so:
> "2. How to join the Fedora Package Collection Maintainers?"
> will be:
> "3. How to join the Fedora Package Collection Maintainers?"
>
> The new major point 2 would be something like:
> ---8<---
> 2. Notes for one-off contributors
>
> Your contribution is welcome.
>
> At first you must <Create a Fedora Account (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers?rd=PackageMaintainers/Join#Create_a_Fedora_Account)>.
>
> Before proceeding, please sync your account by login on https://src.fedoraproject.org/ using your FAS credentials.

See 2.3.1 - It deals with the FAS account creation. Maybe you could link
there to avoid replication :)

> At the moment any repos, including forks, on https://src.fedoraproject.org require your FAS account to have 'packager' status for write access (and read access if you use the "SSH" Source GIT URL).
>
> Either you get the status or you use a <Remote pull-request (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>, f.e. with <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>, as a workaround.
> The requirement to be a packager is being worked on.
> ---8<---

I would rather see something like:

If you are not an Fedora packager, i.e., you are not in the 'packager'
FAS group, you can send pull requests to  src.fedoraproject.org. To do
so, you must use a <Remote pull-request
(https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>,
f.e. with <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>

Also, I do not understood what you meant with

"The requirement to be a packager is being worked on."

> What do you think?

I think it is valuable information and should be added to the wiki :)
Thanks!

> I can edit the wiki.

Can you? Note that to edit the wiki you must be in at least one extra
FAS group other the the CLA ones.

--
Athos Ribeiro

http://www.ime.usp.br/~athoscr