Re: new section for 'Join the package collection maintainers'

On 13.03.2018 01:02, Athos Ribeiro wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:35:19AM +0100, René Genz wrote:
>> I propose to:
>> add a new major point 2, so:
>> "2. How to join the Fedora Package Collection Maintainers?"
>> will be:
>> "3. How to join the Fedora Package Collection Maintainers?"
>>
>> The new major point 2 would be something like:
>> ---8<---
>> 2. Notes for one-off contributors
>>
>> Your contribution is welcome.
>>
>> At first you must <Create a Fedora Account (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers?rd=PackageMaintainers/Join#Create_a_Fedora_Account)>.
>>
>> Before proceeding, please sync your account by login on https://src.fedoraproject.org/ using your FAS credentials.
>
> See 2.3.1 - It deals with the FAS account creation. Maybe you could link
> there to avoid replication :)

The proposed link:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers?rd=PackageMaintainers/Join#Create_a_Fedora_Account
links to section 2.1.3 "Create a Fedora Account".

Or do you recommend the following link for the same target?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers#Create_a_Fedora_Account

>> At the moment any repos, including forks, on https://src.fedoraproject.org require your FAS account to have 'packager' status for write access (and read access if you use the "SSH" Source GIT URL).
>>
>> Either you get the status or you use a <Remote pull-request (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>, f.e. with <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>, as a workaround.
>> The requirement to be a packager is being worked on.
>> ---8<---
>
> I would rather see something like:
>
> If you are not an Fedora packager, i.e., you are not in the 'packager'
> FAS group, you can send pull requests to  src.fedoraproject.org. To do
> so, you must use a <Remote pull-request
> (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>,
> f.e. with <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>

Your proposal is easier to read. I will use it.
To explain why non-packager have to use remote pull-requests, instead of forking on src.fedoraproject.org, I would append something like:

Any repos on https://src.fedoraproject.org, including forks, are read-only for non-packager. Only packager can write.
It is being worked on that forks will be writable for non-packager.

> Also, I do not understood what you meant with
>
> "The requirement to be a packager is being worked on."

As far as I remember that is what puiterwijk wrote in the IRC channel.
Due to read-only forks for non-packager on src.fedoraproject.org the code must be hosted on a remote git repo and a remote pull-requests must be used.
I assume puiterwijk meant that in the future forks on src.fedoraproject.org will be writable for non-packager.

>> What do you think?
>
> I think it is valuable information and should be added to the wiki :)
> Thanks!

Thank you for your support and help. :)

>> I can edit the wiki.
>
> Can you? Note that to edit the wiki you must be in at least one extra
> FAS group other the the CLA ones.

In my FAS account one group reads "wikiedit (user)".
I requested that membership in order to fix a wrong command in a SSSD or FreeIPA testcase in the wiki during Fedora 26 branching as far as I remember.
--
Kind regards,
René