Re: Goodbye nvr.rsplit('-', 2), hello modularity

On 03/15/2018 04:31 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 14:06 -0400, Randy Barlow wrote:
On 03/15/2018 12:28 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
: doesn't work very well in filenames due to it being a pathname separator in some filesystems among other things.
It sounds like this breaks a great deal of tooling. Can we reconsider
switching away from - separators in modules? Is allowing streams to have
-'s in them important enough to break so many tools?
I vote for using ⨊ as the separator, makes things easier :-)

Simo.

kidding aside, we are trying to get metadata forced in to the name "field"[1] in to proper metadata fields rather than just mangling the names. As a result, we end up with more fields and we don't have to guess what they are based on conventions.

I also am not sure why we wouldn't want to have hyphens in the names of modules. For example, a package for "react-native". We even say in the naming guidelines "When naming packages for Fedora, the maintainer must use the dash '-' as the delimiter for name parts." [2]. Although, this is a bit unclear as to whether they mean "base name" or the overall rpm name, from context, I think it is base name.

I could see an argument for using periods as the metadata separator, similar to rpms. However, this might cause confusion with what the elements of the metadata "mean" if they are not the same as (and in the same order as) the elements of an rpm "name".

We chose a colon & slash (for profile names) somewhat based on the practice(s) of docker. However, the dnf team made the ultimate choice, so their opinion on the subject matters.

Langdon

[1]: what is referred to in the naming guidelines as the "base name" as distinct from the full name of the rpm which would include N,V, & R

[2]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Naming?rd=Packaging:NamingGuidelines