Re: new section for 'Join the package collection maintainers'

On 15/03/18 00:54 +0100, René Genz wrote:
On 14.03.2018 14:40, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 14/03/18 01:02 +0100, René Genz wrote:
On 13.03.2018 15:13, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 12/03/18 21:02 -0300, Athos Ribeiro wrote:
[snip]

You could add a link saying something like "To make a one-off
contribution see below" to skip past the main content of the page, but
the new content should still come after the main content.

I will add it to the end of the table of contents and the end of the page. Less links that could break.

[snip]
you cannot create a fork on src.fedoraproject.org so must use an

You can create a fork on src.fedoraproject.org if your account is not a member of the 'packager' group.

Really?

Yes.

Wow, that's weird.

For this account and repo:
* up- and downloading with the SSH URL fails
* downloading with the HTTPS URL works
(I guess uploading with the HTTPS URL is not supported, like it is in pagure.io)

That's not creating a fork on src.fedoraproject.org, it's cloning the
repo onto your local machine.

True, I wanted to describe the behavior of the repo for accounts without 'packager' group membership.

Taking feedback from Athos and you into account here is a new proposal:
---8<---
3. One-off contributions

Changes to existing packages can be suggested by submitting <pull requests (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html)>.
You must have a <Fedora account (#Create_a_Fedora_Account)> to create a pull request.

If your account is not a member of the 'packager' group:
* cloning your fork works only with the HTTPS URL and

What is "your fork"? Nothing on this page talks about having a fork.

And since you can't write to it, there is not point creating your own
fork. You might as well just create the fork somewhere else like
pagure.io

Explaining that you can't write to your fork is not necessary if you
don't encourage people to create useless forks.

So I still think my previous suggestion is better, with one small
correction:

Changes to existing packages can be suggested by submitting <pull
requests (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html)>.
You must have a <Fedora account (#Create_a_Fedora_Account)> to create
a pull request. If your account is not in the 'packager' group then
you cannot push changes to forks on src.fedoraproject.org so must use
an external Git hosting platform (e.g. https://pagure.io/new) and use
a <Remote pull-request
(https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>.

(This just changes "cannot create a fork on src.fp.org" to "cannot
push changes to forks on src.fp.o" compared to my previous suggestion.

* you cannot write to your fork
That is why you must upload your changes to an external Git hosting platform (e.g. <Pagure (https://pagure.io/new)>) and use a <Remote pull-request (https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/pull_requests.html#remote-git-to-pagure-pull-request)>.

The requirement for accounts to be a member of the 'packager' group in order to be able to write to their forks on src.fedoraproject.org is being worked on.
---8<---

Anything that should be changed?
--
Kind regards,