Re: PROPOSAL: Blocking the release is our only "big hammer" — let's add a softer one.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:02 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 21:09 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Adam Williamson
>> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Mmm, I don't really think so. Presumably it would be maintainers who
>> > got to set those fields, right? But they are doing so in relation to
>>
>> No, why would you presume that?
>
> I dunno, just seemed logical. That's how they're intended to be used at
> present. Bug reporters aren't supposed to set them and don't have the
> privilege purely by rights of having an account...but because we grant
> 'editbugs' to all packagers and all QA team members, in practice a lot
> of the people who actually report bugs do have the power to set it.
>
> If you're suggesting we restrict access to those fields such that even
> the packagers can't use them...well, it's a possibility, but I think at
> least *some* teams do actually use those fields at present, and would
> be inconvenienced by not being able to any more because we'd decided to
> take them over for distribution purposes.
>
>> Right.  Which speaks to Matt's "very restricted" list of people.
>> Which would essentially be the same group that is going to do the
>> categorizing anyway.  Which means that since the fields are useless
>> today (as in, completely) restricting them to useful to avoid another
>> process or tool could be a possibility.
>
> Well sure, but on the other hand, if all you want to propose is 'do it
> all in Bugzilla', you don't really need to use those fields; just a

No.  My main goal is "stop building one-off tools because existing
tools (or usage of them) suck".  If people want to enhance blockerbugs
since it already exists, that's totally fine with me.  Basically, I
want us to stop wasting effort and creating more technical debt.

josh