Re: PROPOSAL: Blocking the release is our only "big hammer" — let's add a softer one.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 02:33:37PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> We used to have exactly this, up until Fedora 14. We had 'Target'
> [much snip]
>> lighter process than the blocker review process, though I don't have a
>> specific proposal for how that could look at this point in time. If it
>> would mainly be used by the FPL and FPM, perhaps it could simply be the
>> rule that they got to decide what bugs went on it?
>
> *nod*
>
> Based on your other message elsewhere in the thread, I promise not to
> pull you or anyone else in QA under the bus, but I miiiight drag Jan
> Kurik with me as FPGM. Jan, what do you think about doing a Lightweight
> Critical Issues Review Meeting every, say, two weeks? We could start it
> with you and me and anyone else who wants to show up, and give it a
> hard limit of half an hour.

Well, I did not jump into this discussion as I do not have a clear
point of view on this topic. On one hand I see the benefit of having a
list of prioritized bugs. On the other hand there were already such
activities in the past (like the Target trackers described by Adam, or
BugZappers with their Triage meetings) which disappeared over the time
as ratio of the benefit to effort needed to maintain such a list was
very low. Just for an information: on Fedora we have every week
created approx. 400 - 500 new bugs. I can not imagine doing review of
such an amount of bugs on (bi-)weekly basic. Blocker bug meeting
typically takes 2-3 hours every week and the amount of proposed
blockers is typically less than 10. Even on the Blocker bug meetings I
see the need to check/consult an issue with a representative of a
WG/SIG or a maintainer to fully understand what is really going on in
the bug. With the amount of bugs Fedora receives I can not imagine
doing the review without representatives from WGs and SIGs, just
because of expertise needed to make a qualify decision. As such, the
cost to have such a list of prioritized bugs is quite high and the
benefit is questionable due to lack of enforcement.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow

Regards,
Jan

--