PROPOSAL: Blocking the release is our only "big hammer" — let's add a softer one.

I've talked about this before, but maybe the F26 cycle is time to make
it happen. Right now, we have only one way of saying "this bug is
important to the project as a whole; could we please get resources
focused on it?" — and that way is to stop the whole vehicle until
someone does something about it. This has always been kind of
problematic, even though it has served well enough so far... but as we
move to more deliverables and add things with different lifecycles, I
think we need something else.

We have the Accepted Blockers
<https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/milestone/25/final/buglist>
list. The process is nicely documented at
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_blocker_bug_process>; please
read that if you're not familiar.

I propose we create a parallel "Critical Issues"  list, using basically
the same procedures. Issues eligible for this status would be those
which do not necessarily fail a release criterion but which have
critical impact on a Fedora Edition or on a council-approved Fedora
Objective.

Since Fedora is a volunteer process, this can't be backed by a hard
mandate (like the "block the release!" emergency brake), but if we
agree together to take it seriously, I think it will still provide a
useful list. Anyone with a package or component involved in the issue
will be able to see the impact, and take that into account when
prioritizing. As FPL, it'd give me a nice overview of issues that might
need extra resources or coordination.

We could either implement this by extending the existing blocker bug
process — adding a new tracker bug, add a new category in the
blockerbug app, and review candidate issues at the normal blocker
review meetings. Or, it could be done in parallel, with a
separately-configured instance of the blockerbug app and with review
in a separate meeting called as needed (or maybe just FESCo?)

As with the existing Blocker or Freeze Exception levels, we could also
introduce a second tier "Important Issues", which could have a wider
net than the rules for "Critical Issues". I'm not sure about that.

In any case, what do you all think?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>