Re: PROPOSAL: Blocking the release is our only "big hammer" — let's add a softer one.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 09:55 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> All of the extra app stuff could be avoided if we disallowed reporters
>> (or random people) to change the Severity and Priority fields.
>
> Mmm, I don't really think so. Presumably it would be maintainers who
> got to set those fields, right? But they are doing so in relation to

No, why would you presume that?

> *the package*. What's 'critical' for a given package is not necessarily
> 'critical' for the distribution. If there's a bug in 'some-obscure-
> package-two-people-use' that prevents it running, that bug should have
> maximum 'severity' (and probably 'priority'), but that still doesn't
> mean Matt or Jan would give a damn about it from a 'is the release on
> fire?' perspective.

Right.  Which speaks to Matt's "very restricted" list of people.
Which would essentially be the same group that is going to do the
categorizing anyway.  Which means that since the fields are useless
today (as in, completely) restricting them to useful to avoid another
process or tool could be a possibility.

josh