Re: PROPOSAL: Blocking the release is our only "big hammer" — let's add a softer one.

On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 21:09 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 09:55 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > > All of the extra app stuff could be avoided if we disallowed reporters
> > > (or random people) to change the Severity and Priority fields.
> >
> > Mmm, I don't really think so. Presumably it would be maintainers who
> > got to set those fields, right? But they are doing so in relation to
>
> No, why would you presume that?

I dunno, just seemed logical. That's how they're intended to be used at
present. Bug reporters aren't supposed to set them and don't have the
privilege purely by rights of having an account...but because we grant
'editbugs' to all packagers and all QA team members, in practice a lot
of the people who actually report bugs do have the power to set it.

If you're suggesting we restrict access to those fields such that even
the packagers can't use them...well, it's a possibility, but I think at
least *some* teams do actually use those fields at present, and would
be inconvenienced by not being able to any more because we'd decided to
take them over for distribution purposes.

> Right.  Which speaks to Matt's "very restricted" list of people.
> Which would essentially be the same group that is going to do the
> categorizing anyway.  Which means that since the fields are useless
> today (as in, completely) restricting them to useful to avoid another
> process or tool could be a possibility.

Well sure, but on the other hand, if all you want to propose is 'do it
all in Bugzilla', you don't really need to use those fields; just a
tracking bug works fine. Or a whiteboard field. Or a flag. Anything
searchable, really. blockerbugs is a convenience tool on top of the
blocker process, it's not *necessary*. You *can* run the entire blocker
process without it, and we used to do that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey