Re: fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

> We had a distro that was pretty general purpose, worked for servers
> and desktops and even laptops. We had a predictable schedule.

It's called Laissez-faire meets reality. Right now we have a lot of
"free market" philosophy in Fedora that basically says if everything is
left alone then good things will magically happen, sum is greater than
the parts, yada yada yada. Insert some reference to Cathedral and Bazaar
and the implication that only Microsoft and - oh no - corporations would
have a heavy hand in overall cohesion, and you've got the mindset about
how it is now, at least from how I see it. That is a great college
mindset that works great for individual silos and experimentation.

The problem is, there are a lot of things that are decidedly unsexy in
anything, in particular having a product like Fedora be complete, free
of regressions, and overall provide a consistent experience. All of
those things won't just happen without a heavy mandate "this is how it
is, this is what we do, and no you can't do that". We need to say "no"
much more often, and view everything in the context of the project,
rather than just a test vehicle for some pet project that was fun.

Jon.