Re: systemd and changes

On Tue, 24.08.10 12:56, Mike McGrath (mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 12:10 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> >
> > > People like you and me would opt-in.  (well I would on some hosts) because
> > > we know what we're doing.  Expert eyes get a look at it before it's forced
> > > onto our users, who are already leaving in leaps and bounds.
> >
> > Again, Pulse/PolypAudio seems to suggest that this is not the case. Why
> > didn't expert eyes who knew what they were doing migrate to that before
> > it become default? Or, alternatively, if the expert eyes which knew what
> > they were doing did migrate, why didn't they catch the bugs that others
> > encountered when it became default?
> >

> If us experts aren't even willing to opt-in in modest enough numbers to
> test it, why on earth would we force it on people at all?

Well, here's are two simple facts for you:

1) if things are not used they tend to have bugs
2) if things have bugs they are not used

Acknowledging this: if you want to innovate you have no other option
than pushing things to the people, and then fix what breaks.

And if you never are willing to pass something to the users before it is
100% stable and tested, then it will never be 100% stable and tested,
and you simply stop to innovate. But that wouldn't be Fedora anymore
then.

And I think so far things went really well with systemd, even though
this discussion might create the impression it didn't.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.