Re: systemd and changes

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:00:01AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Well, ironically enough, Lennart's last big revolution illustrates the
> problem with that. PulseAudio - previously PolypAudio, remember - was
> 'opt-in' for several releases; it was packaged in Fedora and many other
> major distributions, you could enable it just by installing it. It was
> used by approximately no-one. People just don't opt in to big bits of

Afaik there are only limited benefits using PulseAudio compared to the
previous situation. I just checked the German Wikipedia and the only
rarely practically used enhancement by me is to easily switch between by
two soundcards. But it also meant that a long time PulseAudio defaulted
to the wrong soundcard every now and then.

> infrastructural change unless they have some very specific reason to do
> so; booting the system more or less works for most people, so why would
> they 'opt in' to a new init daemon?

But systemd seems to provide a lot of new features, e.g. a much nice
syntax for the unit files compared to the ugly and non race condition
free sysv init scripts and the bootup should be faster.

Regards
Till