Re: systemd and changes

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 12:02 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> > Well, ironically enough, Lennart's last big revolution illustrates the
> > problem with that. PulseAudio - previously PolypAudio, remember - was
> > 'opt-in' for several releases; it was packaged in Fedora and many other
> > major distributions, you could enable it just by installing it. It was
> > used by approximately no-one. People just don't opt in to big bits of
> > infrastructural change unless they have some very specific reason to do
> > so; booting the system more or less works for most people, so why would
> > they 'opt in' to a new init daemon?
>
> If it's worth the revolution, wouldn't people choose to opt in?
>
> If nobody ever opts in, perhaps it's not worth the revolution?

No, not really, for a couple of reasons. One, consider the sets of
people involved. systemd opens up interesting possibilities for
operating system creators (that's us) and possibly sysadmins. Neither of
those groups is very large, and certainly both pale in comparison to the
total number of people who will ultimately be *affected*, if only
passively, by the change (which includes both the above groups, plus all
other users).

Even for operating system creators and sysadmins, there's factors to
inhibit switching as long as it's just an optional alternative. We can't
build anything into Fedora that relies on systemd unless it's the
default, obviously. And sysadmins are generally fairly conservative
beasts (that's the point some of them are whaling on here on this list)
who prefer to change as little as possible about a working system.

I'd say it's generally true that, if you get people using Foobar 1.0,
then branch out and offer Foobar 1.x and Foobar 2.x where 1.x is just
maintenance for 1.0 and 2.x has all the shiny new features but some
adjustment shock, people will look at 2.x briefly, think 'ow, it's
different!' and just carry on using 1.x. If you take away 1.x and only
offer 2.x they will migrate to it, whine for a week about what's
different, then quickly forget about it and start realizing the changes
offer them something neat and useful.

Not saying it's a foregone conclusion that that's how it'll go with
systemd, but I think it's worth considering.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey