Re: fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:41:45PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I don't think anyone can generalize that the usage of Fedora is
> > > declining.  What we can prove, and certainly is troublesome, is that
> > > yum check-ins of successive releases have been dropping by a couple
> > > percent each release (although downloads are actually up), compared on
> > > a per-week basis.  It's no less likely that this decrease is due to
> > > people just staying on a stable release, even past EOL.  I've heard
> > > anecdotal evidence to support that, which is no more or less valuable
> > > than any other anecdotal evidence being presented, I suppose (IOW,
> > > probably not worth a thing).  If someone can present a hard analysis
> > > that points to only one possible scenario, fantastic -- we can start
> > > looking at causes.
> >
> > One additional metric which I'd like to see is the raw number of yum
> > check-ins per week regardless of ip-addresses as an historic trend.
> > As a stand alone metric its prone to both over and under counting like
> > the other metrics but in a different way. It would be interesting to
> > see if the raw yum check-in counts as an historic trend followed the
> > download trending or the unique-ip trending.
> >

> Ask and ye' shall receive.
>
> http://mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/yum_hits.html
>
> I'm not quite sure what to make of it all yet except that this trend does
> conflict with the "current release" numbers we have on the statistics page
> (indicating people are using Fedora even after EOL) and that security
> incidents requiring a rebuild of everything is bad for business, at least
> temporarily :)

This past week for instance, over 20,000 unique new IPs appeared for
Fedora 11:
  https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Statistics&diff=194190&oldid=193660

My hunch is that a couple thousand a week are probably due to cable
modems or laptops moving to addresses we simply haven't seen before.
That's about how many new IPs appear for Fedora 7 or Rawhide each
week.  But there's just no way to tell cause other than hunches.  The
folks who hang out in IRC #fedora as well as users@ list susbscribers
can confirm people show up pretty frequently with newly-installed EOL
Fedora.

My scripts are always available here for reference.
  http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/scripts/fedora-log1-statistics-scripts.tar.gz

They're based on the command templates that Max originally worked out
with Mike, and linked from the [[Statistics]] wiki page:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics/Commands

If you guys find discrepancies or differences there, let me know; I'm
always looking to make these as accurate as possible.