Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 02:39:26PM +0000, Allan Day wrote:
> Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> [2] This apparent weakness could be turned into a strength, of course.
> >> If Fedora/RHEL/CentOS were to become the defacto GNOME distributions,
> >> when someone seeing GNOME 3 would assume that it's a Red Hat product.
> >> This seems like an excellent goal!
> > This last point, #2, is the thing I can't wrap my head around - all it
> > takes is for one non-Red Hat distribution to ship vanilla GNOME 3 and
> > this kind of falls apart, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?
>
> I'm not sure how significant that point is, to be honest. It was more
> about perceptions than reality - the idea was that, if Red Hat distros
> are by far the best known GNOME 3 distributions, people will assume
> they are looking at a Red Hat distro when they see GNOME 3, even if
> that's not what it is.

and if something glitches and doesn't work, people will also assume that the
broken distro is a Red Hat one. This is dangerous ground here, because if
you're working on the assumption that your distro is the best, leaning on
others to do that brand recognition means that everyone else who looks like
you will make you look *worse*. because by definition, you're the best.

Cheers,
   Peter