Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On 02/20/2018 09:39 AM, Allan Day wrote:
Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [2] This apparent weakness could be turned into a strength, of course.
>> If Fedora/RHEL/CentOS were to become the defacto GNOME distributions,
>> when someone seeing GNOME 3 would assume that it's a Red Hat product.
>> This seems like an excellent goal!
> This last point, #2, is the thing I can't wrap my head around - all it
> takes is for one non-Red Hat distribution to ship vanilla GNOME 3 and
> this kind of falls apart, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

I'm not sure how significant that point is, to be honest. It was more
about perceptions than reality - the idea was that, if Red Hat distros
are by far the best known GNOME 3 distributions, people will assume
they are looking at a Red Hat distro when they see GNOME 3, even if
that's not what it is.
We don't have design patents on it, though, and I don't think we would want them. So even if that's the perception, it puts us in a vulnerable place. I think that's why trademarks are used to signify authenticity, no?

~m