Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

Hi Chris,

On 02/06/2018 06:09 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

3) Green as a color for digital display is somewhat problematic as it is the
color with the poorest coverage in the sRGB color gamut, meaning across
various displays it can appear very different, making it an inconsistent
color for branding. (see [7], figure 4 for a diagram of the gamut)

And more sensitive to hue error in achromatic color than chromatic
color. So there's really all kinds of ways for color matching to fail
and just avoiding greens isn't going to improve the chance of a color
match.
LOL I was actually hoping you might jump in with a more informed background on the issue :)

I'm not saying green should be avoided entirely, but if it was the main color of a background.... I'm just not sure it works out the best. One of the Fedora "Four Fs" is a bright green and we've had some issues with it. (Maybe more with printing than display tho)

Maybe incorporating the "four f's" colors into one of the backgrounds could help make the background more colorful though. We've tried to stay pretty blue because the few times we tried to veer off we got a lot of negative feedback, although the latest background (jellyfish) has a blue-purple gradient and I've honestly not seen a bad thing written about it.

~m