Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 5:29 AM, Andreas Nilsson <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2018-02-02 03:56, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:38 PM,  <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>

>>> It's simply not true. Upstream's designs call for a well-integrated user
>>> experience where the noise background begins on the bootloader theme,
>>> continues through plymouth, and arrives at the login screen.
>>
>> Which part is not true? I'm about to laugh at the idea of upstream
>> GNOME having an opinion over a metric butttonne of work they've not
>> put any effort into building, and have no real claim over. My god
>> there are a bunch of examples where this kind of overreach is
>> summarily rejected. How fantastic it would be if this kind of claim
>> were applied to dnf and PackageKit teams and inform them to cooperate
>> better so we could, you know, solve a real problem rather than this
>> cosmetic one. I would love that.
>

> It's probably good to think less about "who owns what part" and more think
> about what creates a better user experience.
> If you compare the current Fedora boot experience to the ones on Windows or
> MacOS, the Fedora experience is a lot more jarring and unpolished.

Other distros have done this work on their own and have a better boot
experience. It has everything to do with committed distro level work,
and nothing to do with GNOME having some imaginary moral authority
over that experience. And near as I can tell none of those distros had
to go through some upstream GNOME bureaucratic process to arrive at
their customized boot experience, and plainly this moral authority as
applied apparently to just Fedora hasn't resulted in Fedora magically
getting a better boot experience.

So the moral authority argument I find unconvincing.

> This is
> the measure stick that people will hold up. They couldn't care less about
> how we as creators of the system end up organizing our work.
> The example posted elsewhere in the thread of how RHEL 7 solves it looks
> like a great step in the right direction.
> To me, as an end user of the system, it doesn't matter if that ends up
> changing the Plymouth to match GDM, or change GDM to match Plymouth, as long
> as it's less of a jarring experience compared to now.

These are compelling arguments.

--
Chris Murphy