Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:38 PM,  <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, I don't see how either "boot loader" or "boot splash" theming are
>> related to GNOME. Plymouth is unrelated to the DE.
>

> It's simply not true. Upstream's designs call for a well-integrated user
> experience where the noise background begins on the bootloader theme,
> continues through plymouth, and arrives at the login screen.

Which part is not true? I'm about to laugh at the idea of upstream
GNOME having an opinion over a metric butttonne of work they've not
put any effort into building, and have no real claim over. My god
there are a bunch of examples where this kind of overreach is
summarily rejected. How fantastic it would be if this kind of claim
were applied to dnf and PackageKit teams and inform them to cooperate
better so we could, you know, solve a real problem rather than this
cosmetic one. I would love that.

>I assume there
> must be technical problems that have prevented the bootloader theme from
> panning out, but we already have the login screen in Fedora, and the spinner
> plymouth theme is available just waiting to be enabled should we fail to
> design a quality Fedora-branded replacement for charge.

There's no technical problem other than the usual obtuseness of GRUB.
The issue is one of resources. The openSUSE and Ubuntu folks put in
the effort to make and support their fancy pants bootloader screens
and Fedora hasn't done that. I do remember an attempt and it caused a
lot of problems varying from unreadable screens on some systems, to
impossibly slow navigation when trying to manually edit bootloader
entries (in text) on other systems. *shrug*

This was in the early GRUB2 days, I don't remember if it was as far
back as version 1.98 or if it was a final release but it wouldn't
surprise me if there are a bunch of fixed bugs. However, Fedora has
always used a fairly up to date and more upstream GRUB than other
distros who heavily patch theirs.

--
Chris Murphy